Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Not Chosen... Or Am I?

Ugh. I am so tired of being single!! Seriously, I’m beginning to question whether there is anyone out there for me.

But what’s so bad about that? Why can’t I just be content being single?

It would be fine, except for the uncomfortable underlying sense that I’m not wanted. Not loved. Not chosen.

And yet, as a friend pointed out a few days ago, my perspective is so not the perspective of others. In her eyes, she instead sees me as someone who knows she is chosen and is waiting for the man God has chosen for her, rather than settling for someone else.


The Bible also tells me my perspective is not God’s perspective. God says I am loved. He believes I am beautiful in every way. I am His. He has chosen me.

Not only do friends and the Bible remind me of the truth, but God has also given me a precious dog as a companion to remind me. If I’ve ever questioned whether God loves me, sees me, or has chosen me, I now know He does because I’ve seen it through my dog, Tipper.



Sweet Tipper loves to love me. His favorite place to be in sitting in my lap, laying his head on my stomach and looking up at me. Every moment he’s awake, he’s intently watching me. He doesn’t take his eyes off of me. He is enthralled with me. He loves me, and I know it because he shows me.

Tipper’s been in my life for about 5 years, but it’s only recently that I’ve begun to see his love for me as an expression of God’s true and extravagant love for me. Maybe because I’ve been asking God to show me how much he loves me. Praying for God to satisfy me with his unfailing love so I can again be content and joyful, rather than discontent and always longing for more.


The king is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord.” Psalm 45:1

“All beautiful you are, my darling; there is no flaw in you.” Song of Solomon 4:7

“…You are precious to me. You are honored, and I love you.” Isaiah 43:4

“I have loved you with an everlasting love…” Jeremiah 31:3

“How precious are your thoughts about me, O God. They cannot be numbered!” Psalm 139:17

“…You are the God who sees me.” Genesis 16:13

“…You are…chosen…royal…holy…God’s very own possession…” 1 Peter 2:9

With one look, Tipper’s eyes express all these things to me – different facets of God’s love for me, without even a word.

And no longer do I need to question whether I am chosen. Whether God sees and cares. Whether I am loved. It is clear. Thank you, God.

If you’re struggling with some of the same questions I have been, I pray that God would give you little revelations of His love for you too. Through pets, friends, and His very personal words to you in the Bible. You are very loved. Wanted. Chosen. LOVED. WANTED. AND CHOSEN.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow! I can so relate to those struggles. One thing I repeat to myself is, "You are precious to me. You are honored, and I love you." (Isaiah 43:4 NLT)

I carry that verse in my heart everywhere I go. I love to repeat it to myself. When I feel alone or unloved, I say that verse out loud.

When I don't like what I see in the mirror, I repeat that verse.

Knowing that I'm precious in God's eyes changes my perspective.

Hugs to you Kristen! <3

Kristen said...

Hey Debra, Thanks for commenting. :) Isaiah 43:4 is definitely one of my favorite verses too when I need some encouragement.

It's pretty amazing how God feels about us & if we can hold onto that, you're right... it makes all the difference in our perspective.

Hugs back, Debra! :)